Keeping your home Safe
- Lock all windows and doors, leave a radio on and put lights on a timer when you are out.
- Keep presents out of sight and don’t leave packaging on display outside your house.
- Keep valuables like car keys, bags and mobile phones out of sight and out of reach of windows, doors and cat flaps.
- Download apps that have tracking devices for phones, laptops and other gadgets.
Protecting your car
- Remember to wind up windows and lock cars.
- Don’t leave shopping, gifts or other valuables, like sat navs, laptops or mobile phones, on display in your car.
- Keep items like coats, clothing and loose change out of sight. The cost of replacing a broken window is usually more expensive than the value of the goods stolen.
Keeping your home safe while away
- Cancel deliveries such as newspapers, so they don’t pile up.
- Only tell those who need to know you’re going away, don’t announce it in public.
- Make sure your house looks occupied. It’s worth getting automatic time switches to switch lights and a radio on and off in downstairs and upstairs rooms.
- Don’t leave valuable items, like TVs or TV equipment (sound bars) visible through the window.
- Lock the garage and shed with proper security locks. Make sure your tools are locked away so they can’t be used to break into your house.
- Lock bicycles to a ground anchor or other fixed item, or inside a shed/garage.
I know these tips are often common sense, however, from time to time they are forgotten. If I don’t see you before, I want to wish you all a very merry Christmas and a happy new year!
PCSO Danielle 9157 and PC Tracey 2357